Crowns are used when a filling is insufficient in protecting a tooth from further decay. When a tooth is severely damaged by decay, a crown acts as a protective barrier, covering the tooth to save it from progressive damage. This also protects the surrounding teeth from being affected by the decaying tooth.
When you need a dental crown, the last thing you want to do is wait. Here at J-Town Comprehensive Dental Center, we utilize CEREC technology to design, fabricate, and place a permanent crown in a single visit! This means that you can get your treatment done in just one day, without having to miss school, work, or other obligations for a second appointment. CEREC is an acronym that stands for chairside economical restoration of esthetic ceramics. This technology uses computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM) to quickly create the perfect dental crown.
In comparison with the traditional dental crown process, CAD/CAM technology offers many advantages, including:
- Reduced treatment time – With CEREC, your entire dental crown procedure can be completed in just one visit. By avoiding a second appointment, you will save time, and money, and get back to the things you love.
- Increased accuracy – The CAD/CAM technology used to create CEREC crowns is extremely accurate. The result is a crown that will fit snugly and blend perfectly with your natural teeth, which means that your smile will look great.
- Skip the temporaries – With CEREC crowns, your permanent crown will be made in just one appointment, so there is no need for you to wear unsightly or uncomfortable temporaries.
In most cases, the entire process takes only about an hour, and you’ll be able to leave our office with a new, beautiful smile right after the appointment is completed. The following are the steps you can expect to go through during your CEREC dental crown visit:
- We will begin by preparing the tooth in order to place a crown over it. This involves removing any decay or damage, as well as shaping the tooth so that the crown can fit comfortably.
- In the next step, a digital impression will be taken of your tooth and used as a basis for creating a 3D model for that section of your mouth.
- The impression will be uploaded to our computer-aided designing software, where your dentist will design the crown according to your exact specifications.
- Once complete, the design will be transferred to our in-office milling machine. This is where your crown will be sculpted and polished from a block of ceramic.
- When the crown is finished, we will place it on your tooth to ensure that it fits and feels comfortable. If everything looks good, we will bond the crown into place.
Upon completion of this procedure, you’ll be able to leave our office with a brand new, beautifully constructed, and fully functional tooth that’s sure to make your smile shine!
If you are interested in CEREC crowns in Louisville, KY, give us a call! At J-Town Comprehensive Dental Center, we strive to provide you with the best possible smile. You can set up a consultation to see if CEREC crowns are right for you.